White Magic.ca
June 19, 2019, 01:06:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: White Magic - White Magic Spell Discussions

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Male magic users. Witches?  (Read 4484 times)
joegt123

In this world of fiction, my Jekyll doesn't hide.

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2010, 07:50:39 PM »

But seriously. I'm a guy. I understand that WW and MT were guys who call themselves witches, but I think i'd be insulted if someone called me a witch. What do other guys on the forum think?
id have to agree

also considering that the word witch literaly means wise woman in the english language. where as the term wizard refers more to men but is a more general term used... i cant rember what the literal meaning of wizard is *goes to look up*

EDIT - found it. it refers to someone that is paticuarly skilled at something. or a sorcerer. or literaly wise man

That was the start of the discussion in one of Victors threads. This is a branch off. So, I ask you, dudes of whitemagic.ca. How would you take to being called 'witch'? If you think you wouldn't like it, what would you prefer to be called?

As Mage pointed out, a wizard translates as 'wise man'. But according to MT or WW (I don't remember who said it) a wizard is someone who is more involved in ceremonial magic. You can find the topic on here somewhere. I think it was a question like "witches, wizards, sorcerers, magicians. What's the difference?"

Does thinking you're the only sane person left on the planet make you crazy?

Remember the golden rule of religion: "I am right, you are wrong." Doesn't matter who says it or what they believe. No one can prove anything, anyway.
mage master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:55:22 PM »

i beleive magician refers more to illusionist. isnt sorcerer vering towards the ceremonial magic also

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
--------------------------------------------------------------
To be forgotten is worse than death
joegt123

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 08:02:27 PM »

That was their stance as well. On magicians anyway. Illusionists. And not the good kind of illusions, either =P

I don't remember on sorcerers. Maybe that was the ceremonial one. Or I think it was a spirit mage sort of deal.

Remember the golden rule of religion: "I am right, you are wrong." Doesn't matter who says it or what they believe. No one can prove anything, anyway.
mage master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 08:08:52 PM »

spirit mages *thinks*... ah yes they are more for ceremonies to enter the dream world. astral plane if you prefer, although the astral plane can be applied to different magic users, it is what you would call a spirit mages speciality
EDIT - *facepalm* i forgot to mention that the spirit mages also manipulate the spirits on the astral plane, making them different from the other magic users
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:12:27 PM by mage master » Logged

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
joegt123

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 08:13:28 PM »

That's what I'm talking about. That might have been what sorcerers were according to whoever it was.

mage master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 09:07:06 PM »

ah now i get ya
could very well be it
some research may be required Cheesy

joegt123

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 09:14:32 PM »

Not reasearch. Boardsearch. FIND THAT TOPIX!

Edit: not sure if this is the one I was talking about, but its one. http://whitemagic.ca/forum/index.php?topic=416.0

COPY THAT PASTA!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:17:28 PM by joegt123 » Logged

mage master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »

that looks like the one  Grin

joegt123

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 10:38:24 PM »

I might add also, that Wicca is a Religion. While some followers of these "old ways" like to use the word 'wizard' to denote a male Wiccan; technically, the word 'wizard' comes from an old English term for 'wise man'.

I'm agreeing with ShinobiBombay. Wicca is a religion and the actual term wicca means "of the wise" which is why wicca is sometimes called "the craft of the wise". Wicca itself is a religion that believes in universal balance. Dark and Light, Day and Night, Dawn and Dusk, etc. There isn't one without the other...[snipped]

As far as that goes, then wizard as 'wise man' is appropriate for a male wiccan

Doesn't help me, though XD not wiccan. Never will be.

mage master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »

exacly.

although... well to quote myself
theres alot more than simply witches and wizards on here.

each person has his/her own talents in the area of magic.

joegt123

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 11:02:08 PM »

Aye, which is kinda the overall point of this thread XD

Lark
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 09:25:18 AM »

A male Wiccan is called a Wiccan or a Witch...never a wizard.

The term Witch applies equally to both men and women who engage in witchcraft.  It comes from the Anglo-Saxon words "wicce" a female witch and "wicca" a male witch.

-Lark-

I might add also, that Wicca is a Religion. While some followers of these "old ways" like to use the word 'wizard' to denote a male Wiccan; technically, the word 'wizard' comes from an old English term for 'wise man'.

I'm agreeing with ShinobiBombay. Wicca is a religion and the actual term wicca means "of the wise" which is why wicca is sometimes called "the craft of the wise". Wicca itself is a religion that believes in universal balance. Dark and Light, Day and Night, Dawn and Dusk, etc. There isn't one without the other...[snipped]

As far as that goes, then wizard as 'wise man' is appropriate for a male wiccan

Doesn't help me, though XD not wiccan. Never will be.

Those behaviors that we tolerate become our standards.
joegt123

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 10:01:04 AM »

That answers that part of it, then. Hmm.

Saveyna Moonshadow

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 01:14:16 PM »

So what, my sister is a sorcerer? Sorceress. Um, a witch shouldn't but unfortunately does by association have negative connotations...

Never believe in anything until it has been officially denied.

Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage.
mage master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »

ah thank you lark. that clears things up a bit

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: