White Magic.ca
April 23, 2018, 09:17:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: White Magic - White Magic Spell Discussions

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a sigil?  (Read 7509 times)
Rosecrystal

omensfriend
View Profile
« on: April 12, 2006, 09:15:34 PM »

I would like to know if anyone knows what a sigil is.
rob
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 06:14:13 PM »

Hi Rosecrystal.

They are magic symbols.

Here is what the wikipedia said:

A sigil (pronounced /'sɪdʒ.ɪl/ or /'sɪg.ɪl/; pl. sigila or sigils) is a symbol created for a specific magical purpose. The term sigil derives from the Latin sigilum meaning "seal," though it may also be related to the Hebrew סגולה (segulah meaning "talisman"). The old norse binding rune is an example of the idea. However, sigila differ from runes as they are designed not to represent an alphabet but are created to form a glyph, composed of a variety of symbols or concepts which carry intent and inherent iconic meaning.

A sigil may have an abstract, pictorial or semi-abstract form. It may appear in any medium, physical or virtual, or only in the mind. Visual symbols are the most popular form, but the use of audial and tactile symbols in magick is not unknown.

Sigilia are commonly found in Jewish mysticism and Kabbalistic magic (being an especial focus of Sefer Raziel HaMalakh and other medieval Jewish mystical sources) upon which much of Western magic is based.

Austin Osman Spare, in his Zos Kia Cultus, refined the use of sigila by themselves, i.e. outside of ritual. His technique, now known as sigilization, became a core element of chaos magic and from there, has developed into a popular element of Western magic.

The theory that sigila are consciously used as magical tools by businesses (such as Coca-Cola and McDonald's, with their highly-recognized corporate logos) and invest them with a comparable degree of prestige and power, is popular among occultists and a common element in conspiracy theories.
Cherrylanes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 11:38:45 AM »

Hi, everybody. The discussion about sigils is very exciting indeed. I wonder if anyone might know anything about symbols (tattoo-like) apperaing on a person's skin as a result of some magical rite. And what a cirle and an unifinished circle (one point missing) can mean. I would greatly appreciate any hints. Thanks a lot.
rob
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 03:33:31 PM »

It depends on how the circles are in relationship to each other.  If the outside is a full circle and inside a smaller broken circle at one point that could symbolize being broken inside.  Do you have a picture of it?
Cherrylanes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 04:22:04 AM »

Well, thanks for reply. Unfortunately I do not have a picture. But it was one finished circle nearby was another one in which one dot "was missing" - unfinished cirle. Any ideas? Actually what may stand behind this phenomenon? It was all gone in 3 months time without any physicall involvement. Thanks a lot for reply.
rob
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 09:49:41 AM »

What you could be referring to is the use of vanishing ink.  Check out this link for a more detailed scientific information on this topic. http://www.abesha.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=17152&sid=9feedafa1cfcc8f3dac9e7ba4ef67fac
Cherrylanes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 01:37:48 PM »

Thanks for the link, but it's just not the case. The tattoo appeared all on it's own & later vanished the same way. In a strict sense of word it was not like the tattoos people adorn themselves with. It consisited of one circle made with dots (intervals between dots), and one circle, which I call unfinished just because one dot was "missing", actually it was nearby. So we are talking about some sort of ? what? sigil? sign? what? I have no idea why such things may happen. I can only say that a very susupicious person who practiced magic was lurking nearby... Any ideas? I would very much appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance.
Cherry
Nonglen
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 03:15:28 AM »

i still dont get it
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: